Friday, October 06, 2006

By the way

My sweet brother sent me another power adaptor for the laptop, so the day I got it, last Sunday, I spent a grand total of five hours wasting time on it. And that was without internet access. On Monday, a day without classes, I went to school , got online, and spent nearly seven hours on the computer. Yesterday my only class was canceled, so when I finally swung my legs over the side of the bed at 2 in the afternoon, I stayed on the computer until about 2 in the morning, save for food and exercise breaks here and there. I don't think it was a waste of time at all. God bless technology. And Barron.



Triumph! Small French children like me! My landlady's granddaughter, Perrine, is five years old and is as cute as a button (and believe me, buttons are cute), but she always seems intimidate by my presence. Perrine has meet me about four or five times, but never says anything more than "au revoir" when Mme Rey orders her to tell me goodbye. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't find a way to bring her out of her shell. I am an education major. I should know how to deal with children, right? But I could never think of anything to say to Perrine, so I would just smile and wave, and say "Cool!" when Mme Rey would tell me what they had done or were going to do that day. On Wednesday she was at the apartment again, and I was determined to find something to say to her. She was drawing, and so I complimented her color choices and her family of suns. I asked her what she did during the day and she said, "Ahm," and hid her face in her hands. I imitated her and asked, "So you did 'ahm' today? That is exciting." She giggled, I ran out of words, so I went back in my room.



A little while later I heard a knock at the door, and when I opened it, there were Perrine and Mme Rey. "Oui?" I said. Mme Rey told me that Perrine had wanted to say something, but now had her tongue tied. Perrine stepped right up to me, and Mme Rey said Perrine wanted " te donne un bisou sur le joue." She wanted to give me a what? But I bent down, and Perrine gave me a noisy kiss on the cheek. "Mer ci, Perrine," I smiled, and they left. But hey, even with less of a vocabulary than a five-year old child, I can still get bisous sur la joue. It was a small thing, but after over a month here, I figure it was high time all those toothy smiles I give paid off.



The guy sitting next to me just said that America has more of a culture than Canada does. Is this true?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kisses from 5 year old girls, huh? next step...22 year old men. i mean...Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out. Mad props, dizzle. All this iTunes madness is wearing me out. You need to see 'The Coup.' It's high-larious. Over and out.